The Student News Site of Concord-Carlisle Regional High School

The Voice

Concord-Carlisle High School's Student Newspaper
Upcoming Events
  • Last day of school is June 13th!

The Voice

The Voice

Going down in History: Mr. Hoblitzelle Retires from the Social Studies Department

After an illustrious 26-year career at CCHS, Mr. Hoblitzelle is stepping into retirement. As a dedicated member of the Social Studies Department, his influence has left a legacy on the CCHS community.

Reflecting on his journey, Mr. Hoblitzelle recalls many memorable moments. Among the most notable includes “a student lighting a Chinese lantern that turned out to be a spinning wheel of sparklers and fireworks in class,” a spectacle that surely added excitement to the day. He also fondly remembers “Ben Kendall as Louis XIV in the Little Theater,” a performance that brought history to life. There were challenging times as well, such as the infamous “snowmaggeden year,” and somber moments marked by “the deaths of colleagues and students.”

Mr. Hoblitzelle’s path to becoming a teacher seems almost predestined. “I became a teacher because I was born in a school, raised by two academics, and didn’t really consider any other options,” he explains. This deep-rooted connection to education shaped his ideas about teaching.

Photo courtesy of Eric Rivera

“My teaching philosophy is to find the things that make life interesting and meaningful and to try to pass them along to others creatively,” he says. He believes in the importance of the journey over the destination, stating, “I have learned that the older I get, the less it’s about the content and the more it’s about the process.”

As he retires, Mr. Hoblitzelle reflects on the things he is most proud of: “I’m most proud of my textbook sign-out sheet, my airzooka marksmanship skills, and my dad jokes.” These highlights capture his unique personality and the joy he brought to his work.

From his students, Mr. Hoblitzelle has gleaned valuable lessons. “I have learned not to take myself too seriously, to embrace a healthy view of the absurd, and that who you are at 16 isn’t who you will be as an adult.” He reminds high schoolers that although they may feel like adults, they will still continue to grow and develop over the years through adulthood.

Photo courtesy of Eric Rivera

To new teachers, he offers wise advice: “I would tell new teachers to learn to establish a healthy work-life balance early in their careers.” This balance is crucial for sustaining a long and fulfilling career in education.

Looking to the future, Mr. Hoblitzelle has ambitious hopes for the world. “I would like to see us address global warming, solve the Middle East situation, and end partisanship in America.” He recognizes these are big goals but remains hopeful for positive change.

Though he will miss “[his] colleagues, friends, and most of the students,” Mr. Hoblitzelle leaves behind a rich legacy at CCHS. His retirement marks the end of an era, but his impact will continue to be felt for many years to come.