The Student News Site of Concord-Carlisle Regional High School

The Voice

Concord-Carlisle High School's Student Newspaper
Upcoming Events
  • Early Release May 8 and May 22nd (1:15 PM)

The Voice

The Voice

“The Prom”: CC Theatre’s Spring Musical

Design by Calista Wong, ’25, and Michelle Gu, ’24.

Note: Versions of this article were published in the May 3rd issues of the Concord Bridge and the Carlisle Mosquito.

Prom: the quintessential high school experience. “The Prom,” this year’s spring musical for Concord-Carlisle High School’s theatre program, is equally unmissable—whether or not you’re in high school. Melissa Charych, CC Theatre’s director, describes that the show has “a healthy mix of Broadway jazz and contemporary hip hop” with “unique, lovable characters and ‘happy musical theatre moments’… balanced by the realities of living in a small midwestern town where the prom is canceled because a girl wants to bring her girlfriend as her date.” The themes of opening one’s mind to differing perspectives and of being unapologetically proud of one’s identity are woven together with vibrant colors, glitter, and, of course, a disco ball. 

CC Theatre will be performing “The Prom” School Edition at the CCHS auditorium on Thursday, May 9; Friday, May 10; and Saturday, May 11 at 7 P.M. each evening, with an additional Saturday matinee performance at 2 P.M. Purchase tickets at cc-theatre.org. There will be open- and closed-captioning for all shows, in addition to ASL interpretation by professional theatrical interpreters for Friday’s show.

Cast members holding signs for a scene during a run-through rehearsal. Photo courtesy of Rae Hurley.

Charych expresses that The Prom “celebrates the integrity of this generation of young people who bravely… challenge convention and fight to make the world a better and safer place for people to be who they are.” As Emma Rowland, ’25 (Character: Emma Nolan), puts it, The Prom conveys the message that “society will never have the power to change your Unruly Heart,” and that simultaneously, “although the world may seem small and cramped, it has a place for everyone.” 

Photo courtesy of Naomi Benyo.

Charych and others say that The Prom’s messages of love and acceptance are “critical and timely” and “really should be universal.” In technical director Ned Roos’ words, the theme of “[accepting] people whose beliefs and lifestyles may differ from yours” seems “simple and straightforward but these days also seems controversial.” Charych adds that the show, with a plot revolving around thespians and Broadway, is “also about how powerful a life force, and at times even a lifeline, theatre can be.”

For Charych, The Prom is not only a source of LGBTQ+ pride, but also pride in being able to “teach in a school with administrators who support the theatre and trust us to tell this story correctly” and “in a community where so many students expressed such enthusiasm for this show.” She says, “I am proud of the insightful conversations… of the student leaders onstage and behind the scenes who worked with such heart to honor this piece… [and] of our production team of adults who work to create an educational theatre program where students feel welcome, challenged, and supported.”

The cast reviews notes from a run-through rehearsal. Photo courtesy of Naomi Benyo.

The Prom might stylistically take a turn from CC Theatre’s recent previous shows which Charych describes as “more classic titles with ‘bigger names,’” but it continues to expand CC Theatre’s renowned reputation for dedicated student leadership and extraordinary ability to piece together an ambitious array of moving parts – literally and figuratively – into a cohesive, awe-inspiring product. Similarly identifiable are the trends of shared passion and fun within the community that breathe life into every show. One student techie admits that “at first, I was a little skeptical of this show… but it has since grown on me as I’ve been able to watch the show take shape and [characters] develop.”

The cast dancing during one of the musical numbers. Photo courtesy of Rae Hurley.

Becky Robichaud, CC Theatre’s choreographer and accessibility director, says that with “pretty much every aspect of CC Theatre” being student-run, “this show… seemed like the perfect vehicle to expand those educational opportunities to choreography.”  With four student choreographers who “have great creativity and vision,” Robichaud taught them “how to get that vision from their imaginations to the stage… and… how to problem-solve [in] real time.” One student choreographer, Christina Drake, ’24 (Ensemble), calls the experience a “healthy challenge,” saying, “I hadn’t ever choreographed entire sections of a song, much less shared it with others… [but] I have found both… very gratifying.” Another student choreographer, Mia Snorek-Yates, ’24 (Character: Motel Clerk, Ensemble), furthers that “the people, love, and laughter” she feels in difficult moments has only reminded her “why I love what I’m doing and being a part of this community.” Joanna Stearns, ‘27 (Ensemble), expresses that “the amount of dancing, singing, and acting… bring energy and life into the production… with the intense dancing rehearsals that are slightly painful but so fun!!”

The set construction tech crew at work. Photo courtesy of Naomi Benyo.

Roos explains that “as is always the case, the tight timeline to assemble all the technical aspects” – including several set pieces on wheels and “one that weighs hundreds of pounds and still needs to move” – is a challenge, but as is equally always the case, students are striving to make it happen seamlessly. 

Additionally, this year, CCHS’ new choral director Sarah Grina took on the role of vocal director for the musical. Grina expresses, “My first experience as a part of [CC Theatre] has been wonderful—between my amazing and supportive colleagues, the incredible talent in the cast and crew, and the important message of the show, I couldn’t be happier to be involved.” She adds, “I only wish we had more hours in the day to work together on the music.”

The Prom is yet another reflection of the deep sense of trust and gratitude that manifests both onstage and behind the scenes at CC Theatre: “the joy and the love” that Robichaud says is threaded throughout the musical’s storyline. Rowland states, “I hope the audience can… see the love these characters share for each other, and hopefully, support those in their own life who are exploring their sexuality or even just who they want to be as a person.” Charych concludes, “I hope the audience comes away with the idea that there is no one right way to open minds and to make positive change in your own life and in the world.”

Photo courtesy of Naomi Benyo.