The Student News Site of Concord-Carlisle Regional High School

The Voice

Concord-Carlisle High School's Student Newspaper
Upcoming Events
  • Early Release May 8 and May 22nd (1:15 PM)

The Voice

The Voice

Voices from the Kicks Community

A Kicks Retrospective

On September 23, CCHS held Kicks for Cancer, an annual event that raises money for research on early detection of ovarian cancer.  In 2022 alone, it brought in $117,000 in donations for Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and it continues to make a huge impact in raising funds for ovarian cancer research. This event is run by volunteers and hosted by the Friends of CCHS Men’s Soccer and was originally made in honor of Lois Wells, the mother of CCHS alumni Steve and Dan Wells, who lost a battle with ovarian cancer in 2007. Coach Ray Pavlik then set up a single charity match to help the brothers honor their mother. Kicks is now a weeklong event filled with sports games and other forms of community involvement. The fact that so many different sports teams and members of the community have come together is a true embodiment of the motto “One Community One Goal.” It is not just our community that is benefiting from this event; over 17 years, Kicks and its associated events have contributed almost $2 million to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute as well as Brigham Women’s Hospital to support research focused on early detection of ovarian cancer.

Please see the links below for more!

———————————————————————————————————————

I had an amazing opportunity to interview Mrs. Trish Siefer, the chairperson of Kicks. During our time together, we discussed the roots of Kicks for Cancer, her reason for joining it, as well as its current goals.

An interview with Mrs. Siefer

———————————————————————————————————————

I also had the privilege of interviewing one of the founding fathers of Kicks, Mr. Stephen Wells. During our time together, I was able to ask him questions regarding his personal connection to Kicks – to which he was so kind and open about it. It’s evident how proud he is with how the event has evolved, as he should be! Without further interruption, I proudly present my interview with Mr. Wells:

An interview with Coach Well

———————————————————————————————————————

A huge thank you to Mrs. Trish Siefer, Mr. Stephen Wells, and Ms. Madeleine Pooler for their help, support, and kindness during the interviews!