The Student News Site of Concord-Carlisle Regional High School

The Voice

Concord-Carlisle High School's Student Newspaper
Upcoming Events
  • Early Release May 8 and May 22nd (1:15 PM)

The Voice

The Voice

Discovering the Superpowers of CCHS’ New English Teacher, Ms. Berger

As the weather cools down and the school year begins anew, Concord-Carlisle High School welcomes Ms. Berger to its dedicated teaching staff. Berger, an enthusiastic and passionate English teacher, joins CCHS with a wealth of experiences and a unique blend of interests that promise to make her a standout member of our school community. 

Photo courtesy of Ms. Berger.

Ms. Berger was born and raised in Laguna Beach, California to a family of readers. The majority of her weekends as a kid were spent under the sun at the beach with a book in hand. As an avid reader, teaching always seemed the obvious professional choice; it allowed her to combine her love of literature with her love of helping students find their voice. 

After teaching on the South Coast of California for a few years, Ms. Berger itched to go to the Boston area. Beyond CCHS’ stellar reputation, she was drawn to our school’s clear sense of community and focus on teaching the whole student. While she does want her students to master the curriculum, she believes it’s even more important to help mold them into confident individuals who are ready to take on life’s many challenges. 

Ms. Berger gave us further insight into her life by responding to some fun questions!

Superpower:

If Ms. Berger could choose a superpower, she would choose the ability to fly. She imagines how fun it would be to jet off to France for the perfect flaky chocolate croissant! Ms. Berger’s choice of superpower certainly reflects her adventurous spirit.

Hobbies outside of work:

Ms. Berger LOVES to bake. She finds measuring ingredients and following a recipe oddly comforting when life feels chaotic. She likes that baking requires extreme focus, and it gives her an excuse to socialize and bring treats to friends and coworkers. Her current obsession is snickerdoodle cake. Snickerdoodle cake sounds delicious – I think I speak for everyone when I say we’d love a slice! Ms. Berger’s passion for baking is sure to bring a lot of joy to the CCHS community.

A loaf that Ms. Berger baked. Photo courtesy of Ms. Berger.

One meal for the rest of her life:

If Ms. Berger had to eat one meal for the rest of her life, she would eat her grandma’s eggplant parmesan as it’s cheesy, delicious, and vegetarian-friendly. 

Memorable trip:

A memorable trip Ms. Berger had was studying abroad in Venice, Italy when she attended Boston College. She remembers how, for a class trip, her professor secured a private showing of the Basilica di San Marco. She reflects, “It was absolutely breathtaking. Gold mosaics cover every wall. I’ve never seen such craftsmanship up close.” 

One piece of advice for her high-school self:

Ms. Berger admits she was a perfectionist (and grade-obsessed). One piece of advice she’d give to her younger self is, “Don’t be so hard on yourself. In ten years, you won’t remember your grades, but you will remember the moments you spent with friends.” 

Photo courtesy of Ms. Berger.

The Voice is very grateful to have the opportunity to interview Ms. Berger and Concord-Carlisle High School is thrilled to welcome her into our community. With her passion for literature, love of baking, and dedication to molding confident individuals, she is sure to leave a lasting impact on both students and colleagues. In the midst of high school stress, her advice is especially useful and illustrates her care for students’ wellness. We look forward to years of growth and memorable moments (and hopefully even a snickerdoodle cake?) with Ms. Berger at CCHS!